Country : Luxembourg
The arms were granted on May 30, 1896.
The arms of Clervaux are derived from the arms of the Clervaux family, which descended from the Lords of Wiltz. The lords of Wiltz used a golden shield with a red chief. The Lords of Clervaux used the same design, but with three silver merles (ducks without legs and beak) in the chief. These arms have always been used by the Lords and the city of Clervaux.
The above arms, however, show a different design. The arms most likely are based on a mistake. The original description mentions "merlettes" (martlets), but this is most likely misinterpreted as small "merles" (blackbirds). As black birds on a red chief are not allowed according the rule of tincture (no colour on colour) the colours of the main shield had to be exchanged.
The municipality uses different versions of the arms, see images below.
Literature: Loutsch, J-C. et al.; Armorial communal du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg, Fisch, Luxembourg, 1989, 331 p.
|Heraldry of the World|
|Luxembourg heraldry portal|
Héraldique de Luxembourg
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site