Country : Germany
State : Sachsen
District (Kreis) : Free urban district (Kreisfreie Stadt)
|German||In gespaltenem Schild rechts in Gold einen nach rechts aufsteigenden rot gezungten und rot bewehrten schwarzen Meißner Löwen, links in Gold zwei blaue Landsberger Pfähle.|
Leipzig developed around a castle built in the early 11th century. The new town received city rights in 1165 from the Counts of Meissen. The city became one of the largest cities in, first Meissen, later Sachsen.
The arms show the lion of Meissen and the pales of Landsberg (compare Dresden and Chemnitz). The latter are derived from the arms of the Counts of Landsberg, who ruled the area in the early 13th century.
The arms are used since 1468, before that date only the lion of Meissen was used. The city gradually received more freedom from the rule of the Counts of Meissen and in 1423 the city ruled itself, without vassals. Most likely it was decided shortly afterwards to add the pales of Landsberg.
Seal from the 13th century(source)
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in an album from around 1910
The arms on a trade stamp, 1920s
The arms on a tobacco card, 1912
The arms in the Abdulla albums
Literature: Benzing et al, 1984
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site