Liège

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wapen van Liège/Arms (crest) of Liège
LIÈGE

Country: Belgium
Belgium.jpg



Province:
Liège
Liegep.jpg



Additions:

  • 1977 Angleur
  • 1977 Bressoux
  • 1977 Chênée
  • 1977 Glain
  • 1977 Grivegnée
  • 1977 Jupille-sur-Meuse
  • 1977 Rocourt
  • 1977 Sclessin
  • 1977 Wandre
Loading map...
Official blazon
Dutch
  • (1819) Van rood beladen met een verhoogde kolom van vier trappen, waarop een waereld kloot verzeld ter regter zijde van de letter L, en ter linker van de letter G, rustende de kolom op drie liggende leeuwen, alles van goud. Het schild gedekt met een gouden kroon en ter wederzijde vastgehouden door een klimmende leeuw van goud.
French
  • (1811) De gueules à la colonne haussée de quatre degrés, sommé d'un globe croisetté adextreée d'un L senestrée d'un G et soutenue de trois têtes de lion rangées en fasce, le tout d'or, au chef cousudes bonnes villes qui est de gueules à trois abeilles en fasce d'or.
  • (1924) De gueules à une colonne posé du trois degrés, soutenus de trois lions couchés et sommée d'une pomme de pin, soutenant une croix pattée; la dite colonne accostée à dextre de la lettre capitale L et à la senestre de la lettre capitale G, le tout d'or. L'écu sommé d'une couronne murale du même et orné extérieurement des bijoux de la Légion d'Honneur et de la croix de guerre italienne, munis de leurs rubans et mouvants de la pointe.
  • (1928) De gueules à une colonne posé du trois degrés, soutenus de trois lions couchés et sommée d'une pomme de pin, soutenant une croix pattée; la dite colonne accostée à dextre de la lettre capitale L et à la senestre de la lettre capitale G, le tout d'or. L'écu sommé d'une couronne murale du même et orné extérieurement des bijoux de la Légion d'Honneur et de la croix de guerre italienne et de la Médaille militaire pour la Bravoure en or du Royaume des Serbes, Croates et Slovènes, munis de leurs rubans et mouvants de la pointe.
  • (1947) De gueules à une colonne posé du trois degrés, soutenus de trois lions couchés et sommée d'une pomme de pin, soutenant une croix pattée; la dite colonne accostée à dextre de la lettre capitale L et à la senestre de la lettre capitale G, le tout d'or. L'écu sommé d'une couronne murale du même et orné extérieurement des bijoux de la Croix de guerre italienne, de la Croix de guerre belge 1940 avec palme, de la croix de la Légion d'Honneur et de la Médaille militaire pour la Bravoure en or du Royaume des Serbes, Croates et Slovènes, munis de leurs rubans et mouvants de la pointe.
  • (1978) De gueules à un perron formé d'un colonne posée sur trois degrés, soutenus de trois lions couchés et sommée d'une pomme de pin, soutenant une croix pattée; ladite colonne accostée à dextre de la lettre capitale L et à la senestre de la lettre capitale G, le tout d'or. L'écu sommé d'une couronne murale du même et orné extérieurement, en commençant par la dextre de l'écu, des bijoux de la croix de guerre italienne, de la croix de guerre belge 1940 avec palme, de la croix de la Légion d'Honneur et de la Médaille militaire pour la Bravoure en or du Royaume des Serbes, Croates et Slovènes, munis de leurs rubans et mouvants de la pointe.
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The arms were first officially granted on June 6, 1811 by Napoleon. On November 24 1819 the arms were granted by the Dutch government, with two lion supporters. After the First World War the arms were again granted on September 12, 1924 with 2 military crosses. A third was added on May 25, 1928 and a fourth on February 1, 1947. These arms were confirmed after the mergers on February 2, 1978.

Image gallery

The arms of Liège show a monument or 'perron'. The perron is most likely derived form an actual monument in the city. It is first seen on a coin of Hendrik II of Limburg, as Prince-Bishop of Liège, dating between 1145 and 1165. The perron was shown freely on coins until the mid 14th century, when the symbol was placed in a shield. Whether the city at the time already used it as city arms is not known.

Ever since the perron, including the base with the three lions, has been the arms of the city. The actual shape, however has varied widely during the centuries, and similarly, not all images show the lions. In the late 17th century the whole name, LIÈGE was shown around the perron. The letters L and G appear for the first time in the late 18th century.

The arms granted by Napoleon show the perron without the lions, which were transformed to three lion heads in the base of the arms. In the chief three bees, symbol of a city of the First Rank, were added.

Why in 1819 two lion supporters were added is not known. Unfortunately the register only shows the lions partially drawn.

Since the 17th century the arms on the seals are shown with Saint Lambertus, the local patron saint, as a supporter behind the shield.

Image gallery

Literature: Servais, 1955


Belgium heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Belgium.jpg
Belgium heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:



  • Total pages in the Belgium section : 6,288
  • of which images : 5,068

Other heraldry:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site