|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1973 Castlereagh (2015 Lisburn and Castlereagh)
Arms: Quarterly argent and Or, in the first quarter a dexter hand appaumy gules, in the second and third a cogwheel azure, and in the fourth an eagle displayed gules; on a chief vert a rural crown Or.
Crest: On a wreath of the colours Issuant from the battlements of a tower argent, masoned sable, a demi Irish Elk proper supporting between the legs a ceremonial mace Or.
Motto: The same to all men.
The arms were officially granted on October 5, 1966.
The red hand of Ulster is taken from the O'Neill arms and records the early history of Castlereagh and the cogwheels represent modern industrial development in the district. The rural crown consists of ears of wheat and sprigs of oak, referring to agriculture and the countryside.
The battlements recall Caisleán Riabhach or "grey castle" that gives its name to the area was built about 1350 by Aodh Flann O'Neill. The castle and land was abandoned by the O'Neills in 1618 and the castle no longer exists. The Irish Elk is a supporter of the arms of both Down County Council and Northern Ireland.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Information from http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/