Diocese of St. John

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


DIOCESE OF ST. JOHN (previously known as ST JOHN’S, KAFFRARIA)

Country : South Africa
Denomination : Anglican

Split in 1991 into the Diocese of Mthatha and the Diocese of Umzimvubu

Arms (crest) of Diocese of St. John

Official blazon

Azure, St John the Evangelist Argent, holding a chalice Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted in 1954, but were already adopted in 1873.

The arms are canting, showing St. John. The Cathedral church in Umtata is also dedicated to St John. The colours are those of Scotland, as the Episcopal Church of Scotland played an important part in the establishment and funding of this diocese.



Religious or Ecclesiastical heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Catholic heraldry


Other Christian churches


Other religions


  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 18,205
  • Total images in the Ecclesiastical section : 16,972

Contact and Support

Partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Images and information by Mike Oettle