Oostkerke (Damme)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

OOSTKERKE

Province : West-Vlaanderen
Incorporated into : 1976 Damme

Wapen van Oostkerke (Damme)

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on February 25, 1845.

The arms are derived from the arms of the Lords of Oostkerke. The arms are first mentioned in the Gelre roll of arms from the late 14th century. They also appear as arms for the town on the 16th century map of the Vrije van Brugge area, see below.

Wapen van/Blason de Oostkerke (Damme)

The arms on the map of Pieter Pourbus (1571, Groeningemuseum, Brugge)

The same arms are used by the village of Hoeke, but the relation with the Lords of Oostkerke is not clear.

Wapen van/Blason de Oostkerke (Damme)

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Wapen van/Blason de Oostkerke (Damme)

The arms in the village (2017)

Monnikerede

The city of Monnikerede developed as a small harbour city on the Zwin in the 13th century. Due to silting, the harbour disappeared and the town was merged with Hoeke and Damme to one unit in 1594 (see Damme). The city was situated in the later municipality of Oostkerke, but no remains are visible.


The seal of Monnikerede from the late 13th century (Ewe, 1972)

The seal of Monnikerede from 1300 (Ewe, 1072)

The arms on the map of Pieter Pourbus (1571, Groeningemuseum, Brugge)



Follow us on
   
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
 
Contact us
Heraldry of the World is a private site,
all paid for by 1 person and
maintained by 3 persons as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please, support the site:





eBay shop
Download shop

Literature : Servais, 1955