|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
BRECKNOCK RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL
Arms: Quarterly azure and Or, on a fesse wavy between in the first quarter a leaping salmon argent, in the second a beacon enflamed, in the third an oak tree couped proper, and in the fourth a garb gold, a bar wavy of the third.
Crest: On a wreath of the colours, In front a Celtic cross of stone proper a dragon passant gules supporting with the dexter claw a quill pen, point downwards argent.
Motto: Llifa'r dwr, Llewyrcha'r bobl
The arms were officially granted on December 20, 1954.
The blue and gold quarters have reference principally to local industries, blue being representative of the carboniferous limestone rock to be found in the southern areas of the district. The silver salmon represents fisheries, the gold wheatsheaf agriculture, and the oak tree forestry. The wavy blue and white wavy fesse has reference to water supplies and the beacon stands for the Brecknock or Brecon Beacons.
The Celtic cross represents the many cross slabs, ruins and other ancient monuments in the area. The red dragon is for Wales and the quill pen, tinctured silver or white, which it holds, denotes an association with Henry Vaughan (1622-1695), "Silurist" poet and physician, often called the "Swan of the Usk".
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:
Literature : Biggs, 1971.