Świdnica

From Heraldry of the World
(Redirected from Schweidnitz)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Poland heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Poland.jpg
Poland heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:



  • Total pages in the Poland section : 8,105
  • of which images : 5,036

Other heraldry:

ŚWIDNICA

Province: Dolny Śląsk
County : Świdnica

Swidnic2.jpg

Origin/meaning

The arms of the city (German name Schweidnitz) were supposedly granted in 1452 by King Ladislas of Poland. The oldest seal of the city, dating from 1284, only shows a griffin. The boar appeared on a smaller seal in 1355, they were combined on a seal known from 1400. According to legend this happened due to a long dispute over the animal which should symbolise the authorities of Swidnica - a griffin or a boar? At last it was resolved by King Waclaw Pogrobowiec who suggested that both of the symbols should be included in the coat of arms. As a reminder of that fact the crowns were added to the coat of arms.The historical colours show the first and fourth quarter in black, but during the second half of the 20th century the town used blue colours, see below. In the late 20th century the old colours were restored.

Swidnicaz2.jpg

The seal from 1315
Arms of Świdnica

The arms in a 16th century manuscript
Swidnicaz1.jpg

A paper seal from around 1900
Wappen von Świdnica/Coat of arms (crest) of Świdnica

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Swidnica.jpg

The arms from around 1994

Literature: Blue image obtained from Laszlo Szirtes, Hungary, upper image and background from Artur Bartlejewski and from from Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s.