|Heraldry of the World|
|Irish heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Ireland
Araltais in Éirinn
County : Dublin
The arms were officially granted in 1607 to the city council and were continued by all subsequent local government councils and corporations.
The castle of Dublin first appears in the 13th century seal of the city. On the seal Dublin is clearly under siege, from the central tower two sentries sound the alarm, while on each flanking tower stands an archer with a cross-bow. It probably depicts the readiness of the citizens, not an actual siege.
The seal of Dublin from the 13th century
Later, the single tower was replaced by three different castles, the small figures were replaced by flames from the towers. The fire indicates the zeal of the citizens in defence of the city. The left supporter is the figure of Justice holding a pair of scales, the right supporter is the figure of Law holding a sword. Both hold an olive branch. At their feet are groups of flowers symbolising hope and joy.
The motto can be translated as :"Happy the city where citizens obey".
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1906
The arms on a Mitchell's cigarette card, 1911
The arms on a mozaic in the city hall
Image courtesy of Michael Morritt
The arms on a carpet in the city hall, 2013
The arms on a lamp post, 2013
The arms on a waste bin, 2013
The arms in the town, 2013
The arms on a postcard, 2014
The arms in the Abadie albums, 1930s
The arms in a game, 1910s
The arms on a German card, 1920s
An interesting variant is shown in the German Wappen-Album from around 1914, where the arms of Ireland as shown as the arms of Dublin:
The arms of 'Dublin' in a German album
Literature : Information leaflet provided and issued by the City of Dublin