|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Ein silberner zinnenbewehrter Torturm mit rechts anliegender Kemenate auf rotem Schild.
Fürstenau probably received city rights around 1360 from the Bishops of Osnabrück. The oldest seal dates from the same time and shows a single tower with added buildings, probably symbolising the local castle. The above arms were granted in 1949 and show the same composition in the colours of the State of Oldenburg.
During the 19th and 20th century the colours and composition were not very consistent, as can be seen from the images below. The city currently uses the arms with green roofs, but this is not mentioned in the blazon.
The arms as shown in 1891
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms on a 1994 postcard
The arms as used by the town (2019)
Literature : Stadler,1964-1971, 8 volumes; Ahrens, 1891