Freudenberg am Main: Difference between revisions

106 bytes added ,  06:31, 6 September 2020
no edit summary
No edit summary
Line 12: Line 12:


===Origin/meaning===
===Origin/meaning===
Freudenberg received city rights in 1333. The city used in the 14<sup>th</sup> century a seal with an eagle and rose derived from the arms of the Counts of Wertheim-Breuberg, who governed the city at the time. In 1612 the city became a possession of the State of Würzburg and the new seals showed St. Lawrence, the local patron saint, as well as the arms of Bishop [[Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn]]. Seals with similar compositions were used until the late 19<sup>th</sup> century when new arms were devised. These showed  
Freudenberg received city rights in 1333. The city used in the 14<sup>th</sup> century a seal with an eagle and rose derived from the arms of the Counts of Wertheim-Breuberg, who governed the city at the time. In 1612 the city became a possession of the State of Würzburg and the new seals showed St. Lawrence, the local patron saint, as well as the arms of Bishop [[Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn]]. Seals with similar compositions were used until the late 19<sup>th</sup> century when new arms were devised. These showed an eagle and rose from the Counts of Wertheim, the local landscape and a small shield with a bar (Main ?).


The present arms were officially granted in 1962 and show in the right half the symbols of the Counts of Wertheim, and in the upper left half a wavy bar for the Main river, and in the lower left half some hills, symbolising the local geographical situation.
The present arms were officially granted in 1962 and show in the right half the symbols of the Counts of Wertheim, and in the upper left half a wavy bar for the Main river, and in the lower left half some hills, symbolising the local geographical situation.
approved, Bureaucrats, Interface administrators, Members who can see the literature depository, Administrators, uploader
3,707,953

edits