Koblenz: Difference between revisions

115 bytes added ,  08:01, 9 September 2022
m (Text replacement - "{{media}} Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes." to "Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes. {{media}}")
Line 20: Line 20:


===Origin/meaning===
===Origin/meaning===
The first seals of Koblenz were mentioned in 1198, but the oldest existing seals date from the 13<sup>th</sup> century. All seals until 1282 show a city wall with a church and a lily (for St. Mary). In 1282 a rose appears on the seals. In the 13<sup>th</sup> century the present arms appear. The cross on the arms is derived from the arms of the [[Trier (State)|State of Trier]], to which the city belonged at the time. <br>
The first seals of Koblenz were mentioned in 1198, but the oldest existing seals date from the 13<sup>th</sup> century. All seals until 1282 show a city wall with a church and a lily (for St. Mary). In 1282 a rose appears on the seals. In the 13<sup>th</sup> century the arms changed into a fleur-de-lys, which evolved into a cross. The cross on the arms is derived from the arms of the [[Trier (State)|State of Trier]], to which the city belonged at the time. <br>
The crown is described as a Crown of Mary, St. Mary being the patron saint of the city.  
The crown is described as a Crown of Mary, St. Mary being the patron saint of the city.  


{|align="center"
<gallery widths=250px heights=200px perrow=0>
|align="center"|[[File:koblenzz2.jpg|center|Wappen von {{PAGENAME}}]]  <br/>The seal of Koblenz from 1261 (source : Diederich, 1984)  
File:koblenzz2.jpg|alt=Wappen von Koblenz/Arms of Koblenz|The seal of Koblenz from 1261 (source : Diederich, 1984)  
|align="center"|[[File:{{PAGENAME}}16.jpg|center|300 px|Arms of {{PAGENAME}}]] <br/>The arms in a [[:Category:Windhag city arms|16th century manuscript]]<br> with the fleur-de-lys
File:Koblenz1500.jpg|alt=Wappen von Koblenz/Arms of Koblenz|The arms around 1500
|}
File:Koblenz16.jpg|alt=Wappen von Koblenz/Arms of Koblenz|The arms in a [[:Category:Windhag city arms|16th century manuscript]]<br> with the fleur-de-lys
</gallery>


The only time the city used other arms was during the occupation under Napoleon. In 1810 arms were granted with in the lower half two wavy bends joining in the middle (for Confluentia, as in Koblenz the Mosel and Rhein rivers join). The upper half showed a silver diamond in a blue field, with a red cross and flowers on the diamond, which was flanked by two dolphins. And a chief with some grape vines. After the fall of Napoleon the old arms were restored.   
The only time the city used other arms was during the occupation under Napoleon. In 1810 arms were granted with in the lower half two wavy bends joining in the middle (for Confluentia, as in Koblenz the Mosel and Rhein rivers join). The upper half showed a silver diamond in a blue field, with a red cross and flowers on the diamond, which was flanked by two dolphins. And a chief with some grape vines. After the fall of Napoleon the old arms were restored.   
approved, Bureaucrats, Interface administrators, Members who can see the literature depository, Administrators, uploader
3,725,705

edits