|Heraldry of the World |
|Slovenia heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Slovenia
The arms were adopted on April 15, 1999.
The arms show the fruit and a leaf of hops, as a symbol for the local agriculture, under a chief of blue.
The historical arms of Žalec, which are known from the oldest seal of the town from 1346 and used until 1999 show two black eagle wings, a rose and the upper part of a fleur-de-lis. The eagle wings were a canting symbol for the German name of the town, Sachsenfeld; Sachsen meaning wing-bones. The meaning of the rose and the fleur-de-lis are not known.
The arms by Kobel (1954)