|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on May 27, 1957.
The imperial eagle in the arms is a reminder of the free imperial cities in the district, such as Aalen, as well as some imperial estates. In the district the monasteries in Neresheim and Ellwangen had large possessions until 1803. The mitre is a reminder of the mighty monastery of Ellwangen, whose abbots bore the title of Prince.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.