|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In gespaltenem Schild vorne in Gold ein halber rot bewehrter und rot bezungter schwarzer Adler am Spalt, hinten in Rot ein silberner Balken.
Achern did not become a city before 1808. The oldest seal of the town dates from 1415 and shows a divided shield with a crosier and a demi-eagle. The crosier symbolises the influence of the bishops of Strassburg, the eagle symbolises the fact that the town was part of the imperial area of Ortenau.
From 1561 the crosier was replaced by the arms of Austria which at the time ruled the Ortenau. The eagle at the time was the Austrian eagle, showing a golden nimbus around the head. This nimbus was removed in 1805, when the town became part of Baden.
The seals of Achern from 1415, 1561 and the 17th century.
The arms on a municipal stamp (1892)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971; John and Heine, 1989; Zier, 1964.