Alloa

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

ALLOA

Incorporated into : 1975 Clackmannan District Council (1996 Clackmannanshire Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Alloa

Official blazon

Argent, on the waves of the sea Proper, an ancient galley Sable in full sail, the sail charged with the arms of the Earls of Mar & Kellie, pennon Gules, flag of the field charged with a pale of the Second; on a chief Vert, in the dexter a garland, the dexter half hops and the sinister barley, all Or, and in the sinister a golden fleece.

Above the Shield is placed a Helmet befitting their degree with a Mantling Sable doubled Argent, and on a Wreath of their Liveries is set for Crest a griffin Gules winged, armed and beaked Or, langued Azure, and on an Escrol over the same this Motto "In the Forefront".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on June 11, 1902.

ALLOA, as Alway, was confirmed as a Burgh of Regality in 1497 in favour of Alexander, 3rd Lord Erskine, and later in 1620, was erected into a Burgh of Regality in favour of John, 7th Lord Erskine and 2nd Earl of Mar, Lord High Treasurer of Scotland.

The arms show a ship which bears on its sail the arms of the Earls of Mar & Kellie and the Erskine banner at its stern. These allude to the long-standing shipping and shipbuilding interests of the town and the close connections with the Erskine family, of which the Earl of Mar & Kellie is the Head.

The green chief represents agriculture and on it are two symbols of other local industries; the golden garland of barley and hops is for whisky distilling and brewing and the golden fleece for woollen manufacturing.

The griffin crest is taken from the supporters of the Earls of Mar & Kellie and the same colours are used; a griffin had been used on the Burgh seal and was carved on the seventeenth-century Town Cross.

seal of Alloa

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Arms (crest) of Alloa

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905

Literature:


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974