|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Amöneburg was founded by the Bishops of Mainz, who also granted the city rights in the first quarter of the 13th century. The oldest known seal dates from 1258 and shows a bishop between two towers. All later seals, except one, show the composition of St. Martin and the beggar. St. Martin is the patron saint of Mainz. The only exception is a 18th century seal that shows St. George and the dragon.
In the 19th century the composition was used as arms and the colours were officially determined. After the merger with the neighbouring villages in the 1970s the old arms (see below) changed by adding the wheel of the State of Mainz and the letter A as the town's initial.
The arms in an 1884 book
The arms on a municipal stamp (1892)
The previous arms as seen in the 1960s
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971; Demandt and Renthoff, 1956.