|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
Province : Stadsgewest Brussel / Région Bruxelles
- (1818) no official blazon
- (1840) Een groen veld met het gulden beeld van H. Guido. (the blazon meantions green, but should be blue)
The arms were granted on October 7, 1818 and again on June 10, 1840.
The arms show the local patron saint St. Gideon. The saint originated from the area and went on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 1042. Ever since he is the local patron saint. He is buried in the local church.
The colours are the Dutch national colours. When in the early 19th century the council applied for the arms, no colours were specified. All non-coloured arms were granted in the national colours. After the independence of Belgium in 1830, the arms were confirmed with the field blazoned, but the colours were not changed and the colour change in the blazon is considered a mistake.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on the town hall (image Derek Howard)
The arms in the town hall (image Derek Howard)
The arms as a street illumination (image Derek Howard)
The arms on a litter bin (image Derek Howard)
Literature : Servais, 1955