|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
|The arms of Anguilla||The National Flag|
Anguilla is an internally self-governing overseas territory of the United Kingdom.
The colony of Anguilla did not have its own arms until 1957, but used a badge showing a local islander with a boat on a beach.
The badge used until 1957
In 1957 Anguilla became part of the Crown Colony of St-Cristopher-Nevis-Anguilla and did not have its own arms or badge (see St. Kitts and Nevis).
In 1967 Anguilla became independent, but British troops occupied the island in 1969. Until 1971 (officially until 1981) the island was part of St. Kitts and Nevis.
In 1967 the island adopted the arms shown below. The arms show a quartered shield, with in the first quarter a cannon, in the second a sun, in the third fruits and in the fourth three fish. The upper part symbolises the violent history of the island as well as the sunny climate and future. The base shows the main sources of income, agriculture and fisheries. The shield was surrounded by a tree, shell and dolphin. A motto 'Strength and Endurance' was added as well.
The arms of 1967
In 1981 Anguilla became a separate crown colony and the new national arms were granted on May 30, 1980. The arms show three dolphins over a blue sea. The three dolphins are coloured red, to represent endurance unity and strength, and are in a circle for continuity. The turquoise-blue base represents the surrounding sea and also faith, youth and hope. The dolphin is a common animal around the island.
The different arms on coins of Anguilla:
The 1967 arms
The current arms
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink www.christian-siemer.de/wappen/amerika/anguilla.htm