Archdiocese of Glasgow

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


ARCHDIOCESE OF GLASGOW (Archidioecesis Glasguensis)

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 1114 as Diocese of Glasgow
Elevated to Archdiocese in 1492
Extinct in 1603
RE-established in 1827 as Apostolic Vicariate of the Western District
Elevated to Archdiocese in 1878

Arms (crest) of Archdiocese of Glasgow

Official blazon

Vert two keys in saltire the dexter Or the sinister Argent.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted in 2003.

The arms show the two crossed keys of St. Peter, as a symbol for the Roman Catholic Church. The salmon with the ring below the shield is the symbol of St Mungo (or Kentigern) founder and patron Saint of the City of Glasgow.

Arms of Bishops and Archbishops (1st creation)

Arms of Apostolic Vicars

Arms of Archbishops


Arms of Auxiliary/Coadjutor (arch)bishops

Literature:


This page is part of the
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal

Perth-foley.jpg

Catholic heraldry

Bathurst-hurford.rel.jpg

Other Christian churches

Shaarhashomayim.rel.jpg
Other

  • Total pages in this section : 17,139
  • Total images in this section : 15,548

Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink