Archdiocese of York

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


ARCHDIOCESE OF YORK

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Anglican (until 1558 Roman Catholic)

Established : 628 as Diocese of York
Elevated to Archdiocese in 735

Arms (crest) of Archdiocese of York

Official blazon

Gules, two keys in saltire argent, in chief a regal crown Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were recorded at the College of Arms.

This Coat of Arms first appears to have been used by Archbishop Robert Waldby (1397-1398). The Crown originaly more resembled the Papal Tiara, but was made into a Royal Crown after 1531. The arms thus alludes to St Peter. Anciently the Archbishop used as their official Arms a Shield identical with that of the See of Canterbury.

Arms of Roman Catholic Archbishops

Arms of Anglican Archbishops

Literature:



This page is part of the
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal

Perth-foley.jpg

Catholic heraldry

Bathurst-hurford.rel.jpg

Other Christian churches

Shaarhashomayim.rel.jpg
Other

  • Total pages in this section : 17,142
  • Total images in this section : 15,553

Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Symbolism of the Arms from Heraldry of the Chruch a Handbook by E.E. Dorling.