Armadale

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

ARMADALE

Incorporated into : 1975 West Lothian District Council (1996 West Lothian Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Armadale

Official blazon

Argent, on a chevron engrailed Gules, voided of the field, three bears' heads couped Azure, muzzled Or, in base an oak tree eradicated Proper, fructed Or.

Above the Shield is placed a mural crown and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Ferveant Opera".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on May 28, 1918.

The silver and red colours and the engrailed voided chevron of Honeyman recall the founder of the Burgh, and the Mackay bears' heads his mother, and thus the connection with Armadale in Sutherland. The oak tree was included in reference to Mr. James Wood of Wallhouse, a generous benefactor of the town, who took some part in obtaining the Grant of arms and met the cost of the fees involved.

The Latin motto "May the works glow" was stated at the time to have both a classical and a modern signification; no doubt the latter would refer to the chemical and paraffin works in the vicinity.

Literature:


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Urquhart, 1974