Ayrshire

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

AYRSHIRE

Incorporated into : 1975 Strathclyde Region (abolished 1996)

Arms (crest) of Ayrshire

Official blazon

Quarterly: 1st, Gules, issuant from the sea in base undy Azure and Argent, a castle triple-towered of the Last, masoned Sable, windows and port of the First, the towers capped by pointed turrets Vert, each having a ball Or; 2nd, Argent, a chevron Gules; 3rd, Argent, a shakefork Sable; 4th, Or, a fess chequy Azure and Argent.

In an Escrol under the Shield is this Motto "God Schaw the Richt".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on June 23, 1931.

The arms have four quarters. The first has a castle from the arms of Ayr, the second has a red chevron on silver for the Carrick district, the third has a black shakefork on white for the Cunninghame district and a blue and silver fess on gold (The Stewart arms) for Kyle.

The motto is from the tomb of Captain Thomas Crawford.

Ayrshire was originally granted arms on July 8, 1890:

Arms (crest) of Ayrshire

These showed a red cross and in a chief on gold, the arms of Bruce, Lord of Annandale. To these were added a paschal lamb from the arms of Ayr, and two lyres for the musical and artistic heritage of the County.

Literature:


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Urquhart, 1974