|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1975 Strathclyde Region (abolished 1996)
Quarterly: 1st, Gules, issuant from the sea in base undy Azure and Argent, a castle triple-towered of the Last, masoned Sable, windows and port of the First, the towers capped by pointed turrets Vert, each having a ball Or; 2nd, Argent, a chevron Gules; 3rd, Argent, a shakefork Sable; 4th, Or, a fess chequy Azure and Argent.
In an Escrol under the Shield is this Motto "God Schaw the Richt".
The arms were granted on June 23, 1931.
The arms have four quarters. The first has a castle from the arms of Ayr, the second has a red chevron on silver for the Carrick district, the third has a black shakefork on white for the Cunninghame district and a blue and silver fess on gold (The Stewart arms) for Kyle.
The motto is from the tomb of Captain Thomas Crawford.
Ayrshire was originally granted arms on July 8, 1890:
These showed a red cross and in a chief on gold, the arms of Bruce, Lord of Annandale. To these were added a paschal lamb from the arms of Ayr, and two lyres for the musical and artistic heritage of the County.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Urquhart, 1974