|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on May 3rd, 1960
The arms show the main agricultural activities in the district, cultivating prunes and grapes. The colours are taken from the arms of Baden.
The district council first applied for arms in 1955, with an initial proposal based on the arms of the three historical region, to which the district belonged; Baden, Ortenau and Strassburg. The three symbols (a red bend for Baden, a silver or red bend for Strassburg and an eagle for Ortenau) could not easily be combined. Introduction of characteristics of the area, such as the Rhine and Black Forest did not result in acceptable arms. It was then decided to combine the grape as a symbol for the viticulture, and a prune in the arms. At the time, over 600.000 prune trees could be found in the district, indicating the importance of this fruit. The arms were adopted in 1958 and finally approved in 1960.
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971; Zier, 1964.