|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms are a combination of the eagle from the arms of the Counts of Rietberg, and the wheel from the diocese of Osnabrück.
The local castle was one of the main castles of the Bishops of Osnabrück from the 12th-17th century. Bishop Konrad IV (1482-1508), count of Rietberg, rebuilt the castle considerably.
The combination first appears in a 15th century seal of the village, but then in a divided shield. The present arms were granted in 1957 to Iburg, which became a city in 1959 and received the prefix Bad in 1969.
In the Kaffee Hag albums of the early 20th century the arms were shown in a different composition, see below.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Kaffee Hag picture albums, 1920s.