|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Bad Karlshafen was founded as a city in 1699 by Count Karl of Hessen at the start of the local canal between the Weser river and Kassel. The first citizens were Huegenot refugees from France. The city was named Karlshafen after its founder in 1717. Before 1717 it was called Sieburg and on the first seal of the city a castle was placed. The castle was also used in the arms of the city. It has been stated that the arms were thus canting (Burg=castle). The 19th century arms showed a castle which looked like the local Kruckenburg castle. These are shown below.
In the 1970s Karlshafen, already known as a spa since 1730, was granted the prefix Bad. The arms consequently were changed and show the city wall with the lion of Hessen above a sun. The city is a spa both for the salty waters as well as the sun (Solbad).
Seal from around 1900
The arms in an 1884 book
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site,
all paid for by 1 person and
maintained by 3 persons as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please, support the site:
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.