|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Baden-Württemberg
District (Kreis) : Main-Tauber Kreis (until 1973 Mergentheim)
Additions : 1972 Althausen, Apfelbach, Dainbach, Löffelstelzen, Markelsheim, Neunkirchen, Rengershausen, Stuppach; 1973 Herbsthausen, Rot; 1974 Hachtel, Wachbach; 1975 Edelfingen
Mergentheim received city rights in 1340 and was founded by the Knights of the Teutonic Order.
The oldest arms date already from 1340 and are identical to the present arms without the stars and roses. The cross is the cross of the Teutonic Order, the small shield is the arms of the German Empire at the time. The stars and roses are known since 1572 and are likely symbols of the St. Mary, patron saint of the city.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.