|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Baden-Württemberg
District (Kreis) : Ravensburg (until 1973 Wangen)
Additions : 1972 Arnach, Eintürnen, Gospoldshofen, Hauerz, Unterschwarzach, Ziegelbach; 1973 Dietmanns, Haidgau; 1975 Seibranz
Wurzach developed into a city in the late 13th century and the oldest seal dates from the first half of the 14th century. The seal already showed a lobster, which probably symbolises the lobster fishing in the Aach river. In 1558 the first image with three lobsters appears and in the 17th century the arms showed three crawling lobsters on a black bend, and a knight as supporter. These arms remained in use and were officially adopted in 1934 (see below).
In 1966 the oldest arms, with a single lobster were restored (above).
The arms on an 1877 poster
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.