|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1936.
The arms are a combination of the arms of the Princes of Sachsen-Anhalt (upper part), the arms of the former county Ballenstedt and the patron saint (Cyriacus) of the abbey of Gernrode. The escutcheon is the arms of the State of Anhalt.
The county was made up of the old county of Ballenstedt and the territory of the abbey Gernrode. The territory was part of Sachsen-Anhalt and after the foundation of the State of Anhalt the arms of the state were added as an escutcheon.
Literature : Papendieck, H. : Die Wappen der Landkreise und kreisfreien Städte des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt. Landesarchiv Magdeburg, 1996.