Beersel

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

BEERSEL

Province : Vlaams-Brabant
Additions : 1977 Alsemberg, Dworp, Huizingen, Lot

Wapen van Beersel / Arms of Beersel

Official blazon

  • (1846) D'argent à trois lios de sable.
  • (1986) Gevierendeeld 1. en 4. in sabel een leeuw van goud, geklauwd en getongd van keel 2. en 3. in zilver een uitgeschulpt kruis van lazuur. Het schild geplaatst voor een geplante eikeboom van natuurlijke kleur.

Origin/meaning

The previous arms were granted on June 27, 1846 and the current arms on July 8, 1986.

The arms are based on the seals of the local council from 1630 and 1694. The arms are those of the Lords of Wittem, who acquired the estate of Beersel in 1362 and held it until the middle of the 17th century.

The old arms show three lions, derived from the arms of the Halewijn family. In 1491 Filips van Wittem married Anna van Halewijn. He and some of his descendants used the Halewijn arms as an inescutcheon on the Wittem arms (see also Ruisbroek). In 1846 the three lions were seen as the arms of the village itself and were thus granted.

Wapen van/Blason de Beersel

The old arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Wapen van/Blason de Beersel

The arms on a police badge (source)


Literature : Servais, M. : Armorial des provinces et des communes de Belgique. Liege, 1955, 1041 p