|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1946 and are based on the oldest known seal of the city.
The seal dates from the late 14th century and shows the lion of the Counts of Sayn and the patron saint St. Medardus. The city was at the time a possession of the Counts of Sayn.
The previous arms only showed the lion of Sayn, although Hupp showed the lion in the wrong way (not facing) in the 1920s, see below.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Postal cancellation 1998