|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
The arms were officially granted on May 30, 1853 amd again on February 11, 1981.
The arms show the barred shield of the Counts of Loon, and a canting bear (Beer). The oldest, 14th century seals show a bear chained to a pole and a small shield of Loon. Later seals showed arms with a bear and a free quarter with the Loon arms. The present arms appear in the 17th century.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature : Servais, 1955