|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1927 when Bernsdorf received city rights. It is based on the older arms of the village Bernsdorf. The upper part shows the (modernised) arms of Bernhard of Kamenz, who founded the village. The lower part is canting (Bär/Bern=bear).
The town sometimes uses the great arms, shown above, or the small arms, which do not show the helmet, crest and mantling.