Biberach an der Riss
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
BIBERACH AN DER RISS
(de) In Blau ein aufgerichteter, golden gekrönter goldener Biber.
The arms were officially granted in 1962.
Biberach was already a city in 1240 and the oldest seal is known since 1258. The seal shows the canting beaver (Biber) between a tree and the Imperial Eagle. In later seals the two animals were each placed on a small shield. At the same time the beaver was placed in a small shield on the breast of the eagle. The present arms were granted in 1488 by Emperor Friedrich III, but the colours were in silver a blue beaver, crowned red. Later the colours changed to blue and gold.
The arms in a manuscript +/- 1530
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms in a German album +/- 1910
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Kaffee Hag Albums, 1920s