|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Tierced in pairle reversed : 1st, Azure, on a meadow Proper, a plough contournee Argent; 2nd, Azure, on a meadow Proper, a garb Or; 3rd, Gules, a goat's head •erased Argent, armed Or.
Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Let the Deed Shaw".
The arms were officially granted on October 1, 1930.
Biggar has a long connection with the Fleming family, Lords Fleming from c. 1451 and Earls of Wigtown, 1606-1747. Biggar became a Burgh of Barony in 1451, in favour of Robert Fleming of Biggar who became 1st Lord Fleming.
The arms follow the device shown on the seal adopted by the Burgh in 1892. The plough and the sheaf stand for the agricultural interests of the district; the latter may possibly refer to the Norse word for a barley field from which the name Biggar may be derived.
The goat's head is the Fleming crest and the Fleming red and silver colours have been used in this part of the shield.
The motto is that of Fleming; according to tradition, the words "Let the deed shaw" were uttered by Sir Robert Fleming to Robert Bruce (later King Robert I) after the latter had killed the Red Comyn in Greyfriars Church in Dumfries in 1306.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Tierced in pairle reversed: 1st, Azure, on a meadow Proper a plough contournee Argent; 2nd, Azure, on a meadow Proper a garb Or; 3rd, Gules, a goat's head erased Argent, armed Or.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Let The Deed Shaw".
The arms were granted on September 12, 1977.
The arms are based on the old burgh arms, but with the crown of a community council.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Urquhart, 1974, 2001