Blairgowrie and Rattray

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

BLAIRGOWRIE AND RATTRAY

Burgh

Incorporated into : 1975 Perth and Kinross District Council (1996 Perth and Kinross Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Blairgowrie and Rattray

Official blazon

Per pale embattled: dexter, Or, three bars wavy Gules, each charged with an escallop Or, a chief enarched Argent masoned Sable; sinister, Azure, on a fess wavy between three cross­ crosslets fitchee Or, a bar wavy Gules.

Which Shield is ensigned with a coronet appropriate to a Burgh.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on June 9, 1951.

Blairgowrie and Rattray were united as one Burgh in 1929. Blairgowrie was made a Burgh of Barony in favour of George Drummond of Blair in 1634. Rattray, on the opposite side of the river Ericht, became a Police Burgh in 1873.

The arms signify the fusion of the two Burghs into one by the division by em­battled pale. The dexter side, for Blairgowrie, shows a heraldic rendering of the Brig o' Blair, which spans the Ericht between the two towns, with the arms of Drummond of Blair (conveniently wavy and thus like a river) below.

On the sinister side, for Rattray, are the Rattray family arms charged with a Drummond golden and red fess wavy recalling that Ann Drummond of Maderty married a seventeenth-century Laird of Craighall-Rattray.

The Brig o' Blair appeared on the old Blairgowrie seal and the Rattray arms on the old Rattray seal, both of which went out of use in 1929.

Blairgowrieseal.jpg

Seal of Blairgowrie as used in the 1890s
Rattrayseal.jpg

Seal of Rattray as used in the 1890s

Community Council

Arms (crest) of Blairgowrie and Rattray

Official blazon

Per pale embattled: dexter, Or. three bars wavy Gules, each charged with an escallop Or, a chief enarched Argent, masoned Sable; sinister, Azure, on a fess wavy between three cross-crosslets fitchee Or, a bar wavy Gules.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on May 22, 1990.

These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature: Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 1979, 2001