Borna

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


BORNA

State : Sachsen
District (Kreis) : Leipzig (until 2008 Leipziger Land)
Additions : 1840 Haulwitz; 1934 Gnandorf; 1994 Eula; 2004 Wyhratal (1993 Neukirchen-Wyhra (1948 Neukirchen, Wyhra), Thräna, Zedtlitz)

Wappen von Borna/Arms (crest) of Borna
Official blazon
German blazon wanted
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The arms show in the upper right half the black lion of the Counts of Meissen, as the town was a longtime possession of the counts. The upper left half shows the helmet and crest of the arms of the Counts of Meissen, the so-called Jew's Head, a male bearded head with a special hat. The crest dates to medieval times, the meaning is not known.

The base shows a church. The oldest seals of the city showed a church as the main symbol, with the two other elements as small figures above the church. The church has been described as a symbol of the diocese of Merseburg, to which the city belonged.

Until the middle of the 19th century the city used arms, based on the oldest seals. These arms were still shown by Hupp in the 1920s (see images below). In 1897 the present arms were officially granted.

Wappen von Borna

The arms from 1897

The main colours, gold and blue, are derived from the Wettin family, Counts of Meissen. During the DDR times the arms were iften shown with a black lower field and only one main tower. In the 1990s the colours were restored.

Seal of Borna

Seal from around 1900
Wappen von Borna

The arms as shown around 1895
Arms (crest) of Borna

The arms in the Abadie albums
Wappen von Borna

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Wappen von Borna

The arms in DDR times



This page is part of the
Germany.jpg
German heraldry portal

Mecklenv1.jpg

German heraldry:

Leverku2.jpg

Selected collector's items from Germany:


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature: Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s; Benzing et al, 1984