|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) Im gespaltenen Schild vorn in schwarzem Feld drei goldene Kleeblätter untereinander und hinten im goldenen Feld eine schwarze Wolfsangel, die sich der Gestalt eines großes B annähert
Breidenstein received city rights in 1398 from King Wenzel. No historical seals or arms are known for the city, however. The present arms were devised and granted on June 5. 1954.
The arms are derived from the arms of the medieval Lords of Breidenbach, who ruled the city for a long time. The arms showed three trefoils, a so-called wolf's hook (shown in the left half of the shield) and a kettle-hook. The latter was removed in the arms of the city. The shape of the wolf's hook was slightly changed to form the letter B, the town's initial.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.