|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on February 23, 1938.
The horse in the arms symbolises both the State of Niedersachsen as the formerly important horse breeding in the area. The lower part of the arms shows the arms of the Archdiocese of Bremen, to which the area originally belonged. The two crossed keys are the symbol of St. Peter.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.