Brentford and Chiswick
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
BRENTFORD AND CHISWICK
Incorporated into : 1965 Hounslow
Arms : Per saltire Argent and Gules in chief a representation of St. Nicholas proper in base two Bars wavy Azure and in fesse as many Seaxes the cutting edges inwards proper Pomels and Hilts Or.
Crest : Issuant out of a Saxon Crown Or a Phoenix Sable in Flames proper.
Supporters : On either side a Griffin Or gorged with a Collar gemel wavy Azure.
Motto: 'FIRMIOR' - Stronger
The arms were officially granted on September 1, 1932.
The arms incorporate the emblems which appeared on the seal of the former UDC, which displayed the figures of St. Nicholas in reference to the dedication of the parish church, together with three seaxes from the arms of the County Council. The blue waves, like those on the supporters, represent the River Brent and the Borough's situation beside the River Thames.
The phoenix represents the new Borough rising from the ashes of the old Urban District.
The griffins appear to have no historical significance.
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site: