|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District(Kreis) : Hochsauerlandkreis (until 1974 Brilon)
Additions : 1975 Alme, Altenbüren, Amt Thülen, Bontkirchen, Esshof, Hoppecke, Madfeld, Messinghausen, Nehden, Radlinghausen, Rixen, Rösenbeck, Scharfenberg, Thülen, Wülfte
The arms were granted on January 28, 1911 and confirmed on May 3, 1978.
Brilon became a city in 1220 and was a possession of the bishops op Köln (Cologne). The first seal, which dates from the early 13th century, shows a city wall with in the gate the two crossed keys of St. Peter. St Peter was the patron saint of the diocese of Köln. In a seal from 1547 the present arms first appear. The arms show the cross, taken from the arms of the diocese of Köln, with one of the keys of St. Peter.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1964-1971.