Calton (Glasgow)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

CALTON

Incorporated into : 1846 Glasgow

Arms (crest) of Calton

Official blazon

Party per fess, and in chief party per pale, three coats. First, party per fess argent and gules, on a mound in base vert, an oak-tree proper, the stem at the base thereof surmounted of a salmon naiant contourne also proper, with a signet-ring in its mouth or; on the top of the tree to sinister a redbreast contourne, and pendent from the tree in the dexter fess point an ancient hand-bell both also proper. Second, argent, three piles issuing from the base azure, in chief an eagle's head erased proper, between two fleurs-de-lis sable. Third (in base), argent, a chevron between three leopards' faces gules, holding in their mouths spules or shuttles of yarn or.

Crest: a hive surrounded by bees volant
Motto: BY INDUSTRY WE PROSPER

Origin/meaning

The arms were never officially registered.

The area was a Burgh of Barony from 1817 to 1846, when it was annexed by the City of Glasgow. The arms above are based on the Burgh seal and the colours are estimations.

The first quarter shows the arms of the city of Glasgow. But they differ in several respects from those arms as recorded by the Lyon Office in 1866. The field as recorded by the Lyon Office is all argent, whereas this is party per fess argent and gules, as it is upon the University mace. The salmon as recorded by the Lyon Office is upon its back and not contourne. The redbreast is upon the top of the tree, and not contourne; and the hand-bell is not pendent but separate from the tree, and not upon the dexter but upon the sinister.

The second quarter consists of the arms of Struthers of Calderbank. Mr Robert Struthers was chosen first magistrate of the burgh when it was erected in 1817. The lower half of the shield is clearly intended to indicate the trade of weavers, the staple industry of the burgh, and are derived from the arms of the Websters of Edinburgh (argent, on a chevron, azure, 'twixt three leopards' heads of the same, holding in their mouths a spool or shuttle of yarn, or, as many roses, gules).


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature: Bute et al, 1903