Until 1874 Cardiganshire County Council, 1974-1996 Ceredigion District Council within Dyfed, since 1996 Ceredigion County Council
Additions : 1974 Aberaeron RDC, Aberaeron UDC, Aberystwyth Borough, Aberystwyth RDC, Cardigan Borough, Lampeter Borough, New Quay UDC, Teifiside RDC, Tregaron RDC
Arms: Quarterly per pale indented first Sable a Lion rampant reguardant Or second barry wavy of six Argent and Azure a Herring haurient proper third Azure a Garb Or banded Gules and fourth Sable a Chevron between three Roses Argent barbed and seeded proper; The Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Or.
Motto: 'GOLUD GWLAD RHYDDID' - A nation's wealth is freedom
The arms were officially granted on October 21, 1937 to Cardiganshire County Council, transferred to the Ceredigion District Council in 1974 and to the new Ceredigion County Council in 1996.
The top left quarter, a golden lion rampant on a black ground, is based on the arms of Gwaithfoed - a medieval prince of Ceredigion.
The top right quarter, a herring against a background of the sea, signifies the fishing industry of Ceredigion.
A wheatsheaf in the bottom left quarter represents agriculture, the county's dominant industry.
Shown on the bottom right quarter are the arms ascribed to Dewi Sant (Saint David), the Patron Saint of Wales, who had very close associations with Ceredigion.