Chartered College of Teaching
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
CHARTERED COLLEGE OF TEACHING
Arms : Argent a Cross engrailed between four Dolphins naiant in bend sinister Gules.
Crest: A Stag sejant Argent attired unguled gorged with an Ancient Crown Or and reposing the dexter Forehoof on a Book expanded Proper Gules.
Supporters: Two Horses reguardant Argent each winged maned tailed unguled and gorged with an Ancient Crown Gold.
Motto: PRO DOCTRINIS ET DISCIPLINIS
The arms were officially granted on ? to the College of Preceptors.
At some time during the 19th century the College of Preceptors adopted for use on its seal something which looked very like a coat-of-arms. The shield (Argent on a Cross Purpure a Book expanded Proper bound Or) is supported by a pair of Muses Proper in the original version which also incorporates an Annulet Or enfiling the open book and four curious lozenge-shaped objects, one in each quarter. The whole is surmounted by a representation of Queen Victoria's favourite light-weight crown which she preferred to use on most state occasions. Although a marvellous example of rather heavy Art Nouveau, the "arms" were unlawful and had to be replaced
The cross, slightly altered, comes from the original device and the dolphins remind us of the College's foundation in Brighton in 1847. The white stag with gold horns and hooves represents Theydon Bois and Epping Forest where the headquarters of the College are located and the open book is for scholarship. The Ancient Crown is a reference to the College's royal charter granted by Queen Victoria in 1849.
The winged horses represent the College's involvement in international education.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Heraldry Gazette 16(1985)5-6