Chelmsford

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 3,288

CHELMSFORD

Additions : 1974 Chelmsford RDC (partly)
Parishes : Springfield

Arms (crest) of Chelmsford

Official blazon

Arms : Argent three Bars wavy Azure on a Chief indented Gules a Saltire couped between two Mullets Argent.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a Garb Or transfixed with a Seax and a Sword in saltire points upwards both proper.
Supporters : Dexter a Lion Azure supporting an Episcopal Crozier Or sinister a like Lion supporting an Abbatical Crozier Or with Veil proper upon a Compartment comprising a triple arched Stone Bridge above Water barry wavy.
Motto: 'MANY MINDS ONE HEART'

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on March 3, 1975.

The blue waves represent the Rivers Chelmer and Cam. The indented chief is taken from the arms of Westminster Abbey, holders of the manor. On the chief is a couped saltire from the arms of the Diocese of Chelmsford between mullets from the arms of De Vere, Earl of Essex.The crest has a golden garb, symbolising the former Rural District Council.

Through the garb are thrust a seaxe from the Essex county council arms and a sword from those of the Diocese of London.

The supporters are the blue lions of the Mildmay family. They hold symbols of the modern Diocese and ancient abbey of Diocese. The compartment is a stone bridge, derived from the old Chelmsford arms.The motto is "Many hearts one mind".

Previous arms

Arms (crest) of Chelmsford

Official blazon

Arms : Argent a Bridge of three arches proper in chief two Croziers in saltire between as many Lions rampant Azure in base two Bars wavy of the last.
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Azure upon a Rock Proper a Crozier in pale Or surmounted by two Swords in saltire points upwards proper pommels and hilts Or interlaced by a Wreath of Oak Vert.
Motto: 'MANY MINDS ONE HEART'

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on February 6, 1889.

The stone bridge recalls that built over the River Can by Morris or Maurice, Bishop of London. The crosiers refer to the Bishops of London, who held the Manor of Chelmsford and the Abbots of Westminster, who held the Manor of Moulsham. The lions are from the arms of the Mildmay family, who obtained the Manor of Chelmsford at the time of the reformation and were later granted the Manor of Moulsham by Elizabeth I. The blue wavy bars represent the River Chelmer, from which the name of the town is derived.

The crosier is a further reference to the Abbots of Westminster and the crossed swords are from the arms of the See of London. The circlet of oak leaves is a symbol of civic authority. The rock appears to have no significance, and although officially part of the crest was omitted in some representations.

Arms (crest) of Chelmsford

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Arms (crest) of Chelmsford

The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1906


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : Information provided by Laurence Jones