|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
Province : Namur
Additions : Achêne, Braibant, Chevetogne, Conneux, Leignon, Pessoux, Serinchamps, Sovet
The arms were granted on July 4, 1980.
The arms show five human heads.
The five heads first appear on a seal of the city dating from 1632. Ever since the heads are the arms of the city. The meaning of the heads is not known, although there are several legends mentioned as explanations.
The first legend states that Ciney was supposedly founded by Sedros, King of Tongeren. His son, Prince Clement, bore quins (5 sons), and renamed his city Chynée (from Cinq-née or five-born).
Another explanation is that the heads refer to the story in which St. Martin of Tours resuscitates five drowned children.
A third story mentions that the arms are supposedly canting for "cinq nés" or five noses.
The previous arms were granted on July 19, 1841 and differ only in the type of crown and the star above the crown.
There is one older seal known for Ciney dating from the early 14th century. It shows a simple fortified castle. Later seals, dating from the 15th and 16th century also show a castle.
Old seal of the city
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature : Servais, 1955