|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Bayern
Urban District (Kreisfreie Stadt) : Coburg
Additions : 1934 Cortendorf, Ketschendorf, Neuses, Wüstenahorn; 1972 Beiersdorf, Creidlitz, Löbelstein, Lützelbuch, Rögen, Scheuerfeld, Seidmannsdorf; 1976 Neudörfles, Neu- und Neershof; 1977 Bertelsdorf, Glend
- (de) In Gold ein schwarzer Mohrenkopf mit goldenem Ohrring.
The arms show the head of St. Mauritius, the patron saint of the city. The arms first appear in the early 16th century, but it was already used as a symbol for the city on coins from the early 14th century. The seals showed the arms of the rulers of the city, first the Counts of Henneberg and later the Counts of Meissen. The present image is practically unchanged since the 16th century.
The arms in the late 15th century
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
The arms in a German album +/- 1910
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1935
The arms as shown in a late 1930s book
The arms in the Deutsches Wappenmuseum
The arms on a matchbox label
On November 10, 1934 the city received new arms; divided of gold and black, with over the partition line a sword and a swastika, see below. These arms were used until 1945.
The arms from 1934-1945.
Use of the arms in the city :
Manhole cover (source)
At the entrance of a parking garage (source)
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !