|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) Gespalten; vorne die Bayerischen Rauten, hinten neunmal geteilt von Schwarz und Gold, belegt mit einem schrägen und gebogenen grünen Rautenkranz.
The arms were granted on July 23, 1962 and confirmed on May 23, 1973.
The district forms the heart of the former Territory of Coburg. In 1353 it became a possession of the Princes of Sachsen. The area belonged to Sachsen, and later to Sachsen-Coburg(-Gotha) until the late 19th century. After the first World War it became its own free-state which was incorporated into Bayern in 1920. The arms thus show the arms of Sachsen in the left part and the diamonds of Bayern in the right part.
The arms in the Deutsches Wappenmuseum
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.