|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Cochem was an important wine trading city in the Middle Ages. Cochem received city rights in 1332 form the Archbishops of Trier. The city and its castle were a possession of the Archbishops since 1298. The arms thus show the cross of Trier and the crossed keys of St. Peter, the patron saint of the diocese of Trier.
The arms already appear on the oldest known seal of the city, known since the early 15th century, but probably dating from the late 14th century.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971.